Hotdog’s Top 10
here it is….my top ten movies of all time:
1. Psycho (1960) : so good it’s not even funny! Perkins is mind-blowing.
2. The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (1966) : the most stylish western ever made. Eastwood, Wallach and Van Cleef excel.
3. Halloween (1978) : Carpenter’s classic is the daddy of the slasher genre.
4. The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance (1962) : A beautifully told tale of the west with a cast to die for.
5. The Great Silence (1968) : visually stunning and immensely dark western. Kinski’s best role.
6. Strangers on a Train (1951) : Hitchcock’s most accomplished suspense movie.
7. Alien (1979) : the ultimate in sci-fi horror. the “chest-burst” sequence – wow.
8. The Omen (1976) : A personal inclusion. one of the best horror thrillers.
9. The Night of the Hunter (1955) : Mitchum steals the show in this fantastic 50s thriller.
10. Phenomena (1985) : a brilliantly bizarre dream-like adventure in horror cinema.
Omissions which I found most difficult to leave out:
The Wild Bunch (1969) : Peckinpah’s violent western is close to perfection.
Carrie (1976) : DePalma’s adaptation of King’s novel is awesome.
Blade Runner (1982): Never has a vision of the future seemed so realistic.
Network (1976) : moving satire of the media.
Shadow of a Doubt (1943) : hitchcock’s personal favourite of all his films is an intriguing insight into the mind of the master.
Assault on Precint 13 (1976) : low-budget raw thriller is Carpenter’s Rio Bravo.
Night of the Living Dead (1968) : the king of the zombie genre is still as frightening now as back in the late 60s.